Thursday, March 20, 2008

using video in the classroom

I'm sure everyone has seen videos used in class before....But has everyone tried making their own? Fortunately, the actual editing of videos using windows movie maker is something I'm pretty familiar with....But not so much the making videos in a language class. At least the software won't hold me back on this one.

I'm not really sure where to start for my video project. I've been focusing a lot lately on a unit about Spanish American poetry for another class, and my first mini-project went easily into that unit. I think this one will be a little bit more tricky, although, if possible, I'd love to have another activity ready to go for when I'm in my own classroom.

What I'm thinking about, for Mini-Project 3, at the moment, is to record rhymes/guessing games (adivinanzas) and to have a paused spot in the video where students are supposed to discuss and guess what the answer is. It would be neat for the video to have time-released clues....like giving little hints every 7-10 seconds until the answer becomes really obvious. I think it would be neat for students to have the chance, after seeing some of these, to write and then perform their own -- we could make a video as a class to be used with future classes.

I think this would end up working out ok as a piece of my unit on poetry, because the grammatical focus of that unit is asking and answering questions. Adivinanzas are definitely conducive to questions.

Another idea would be to film the scene of a mystery, and then to have a follow up activity about who did what, where, how, when and why. I'm not sure what I'll end up using.

3 comments:

Kennedy said...

I really like both of your ideas! I think the mystery one especially would be fun. Good luck!

drlomicka said...

'Some interesting ideas!
10/10

LucĂ­a said...

Love your idea! It incorporates an aspect in language that we barely discuss and also touches on cultural aspects. I am kind of weary of using a video camera because I dont have that much experience using it! Good luck! :)